Wednesday, February 18, 2009

batch cooking

I have never relied on "outside food" to nourish me. I grew up in a house where breakfast, lunch and dinner were always cooked at home. When I was a teenager, I started cooking and becoming interested in nutrition. In my mid twenties I moved out of my parents house and into my 1st appt. w/my boyfriend(now husband). Every night after work(on my feet for sometimes 10 hours straight) I would go straight into my 10 by 7 foot kitchen and start cooking from scratch. My husband couldnt believe it, he said "I hit the jackpot". Now, with a family of four to feed, much more planning is needed. I simplify my routine by pre washing veggies and storing in green bags(bought at whole foods), menu planning, and cooking in bulk(something my mother did a lot of)
My favorite bulk cooking item is chicken. It takes no more effort to roast 1,2, or 3 extra chickens. I buy them whole and roast them. We eat 1 for that nights dinner. The meat and bones come off of the other chickens. The breast meat is used to make a big chicken salad, the dark meat is divided up. Some I freeze in 1 cup portions(I will use this for soup or curries), and the rest I use over the next few days for soups, stir fries, quesadillas, or just warmed up w/ a veggie and a green salad.The bones go right into my enameled cast iron pot w/ water and veggies to make a nourishing bone broth. I freeze most of it in 2 and 4 cup portions. I usually have planned a meal w/ broth for the week so some goes in the fridge.
I make meat sauce, stews, mini meat loafs, meat balls, homemade turkey sausage patties, hamburger patties(ready to be cooked)and chopped veggies. The chopped veggies come in handy when you just do not feel like cutting up all those veggies for stew, stir fries, soups, sauces..........I take about 4 onions, 3 carrots, 1-2 celery stalks, a red pepper, and a head of garlic(I LOVE garlic) put them in a food processor and pulse until they are coarsely chopped. I fill 1 cup glass storage containers and freeze. When I need them I just defrost on the counter.
I love to grill a few(3) steaks and use the meat for a couple of days. We are big eaters in my family so 3 lrg. steaks is good for 2 days worth of meals. Usually a dinner and the next days lunch.
I always make extra veggies and turn them into another 2 meals. I make rice in large batches. I do not usually freeze rice(tho I have and its been fine) so I make enough for a few days. I make large batches of hummus and use for 3-5 days. And kuku(persian omelet) is always popular in my house.
Batch cooking saves time, money and your health(you can choose homemade food over take
out) You just need a plan and a little time to do some prep. Joyful cooking to you!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment